Saturday, December 19, 2009

Have you got any advice for writing a personal statement when applying for MA Social work?

I'm applying for MSW pretty soon. I've found a few sites offering advice and the odd sample statement. However, I'm wondering if you have any unique or rare advice which you have found to be really useful and know, which you are willing to pass on to me.





I have my first draft already written out, if you're passionate about helping people then please feel free to ask me for a copy which you can review for me.


Thanks,


LeeHave you got any advice for writing a personal statement when applying for MA Social work?
Try to borrow phrases from the course outline/description in the university prospectus. Universities, or any large institution, like to feel that their members are 'on message'.





If the course description says something like, ';This course challenges students to analyse difficulties in current social work procedures,'; then you should put something in your statement that says something like, ';Analysing how social work is done today and figuring out possible improvements is an academic challenge I would relish.';





Borrow phrases from the ';About Us'; section of the faculty/department website. Often they have mission statements you can take inspiration from. Make sure your phrasing sounds like you would *actually* say it though for best effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment